I soft-bricked (the device would still power on and flash the Samsung screen before going dark) my Samsung Note 8.0 a few months ago after attempting to root it. After many hours of attempting to fix it, I decided to sell it on Craigslist. When people tried to lower my price to ridiculous levels, I ended up trying to fix it again. This is what I did to recover stock settings (note that the binary was still being recognized as official). And when you're ready to try rooting your device again, head over to Unlockr for a super-easy method that worked for me.
- Purchase a USB jig. I used this one.
- Download and install Samsung Kies (not Kies 3).
- Plug the jig into the device's USB port. The device will enter download mode. Remove the jig.
- Plug your device into your computer using its USB cable.
- In Kies, select Tools > Firmware Upgrade & Initialization.
- Enter your device model (GT-N5110 for Wi-Fi only) and your serial number. These are available on the lower back of the device in very fine print.
- Kies will prompt you several times if you're sure you want to do an emergency recovery, as all your files and settings will be lost.
- The recovery process takes ~20 minutes.
Then go here to learn how to root your device painlessly: http://theunlockr.com/2013/10/16/how-to-root-the-samsung-galaxy-note-8-0/